Suncoast Waldorf School opened in 1998 in space rented from the Unitarian Universalists of Clearwater. In 2006 the school purchased a building and tree-shaded property at 1857 Curlew Road in Palm Harbor. Now two classroom buildings house Parent/Child Playgroups, a nursery, two kindergartens and grades one through eight.
For seven years prior to 1998, parents and teachers held playgroups, public lectures, workshops and festivals, all to educate the public about the little known, at the time, Waldorf education. Suncoast Waldorf Association formed as a non-profit corporation which later received its tax exempt status.
Families from across the United States and from other countries now find their way to Suncoast Waldorf School in their desire to continue Waldorf education for their children which has begun elsewhere. More and more families in the Tampa Bay area are discovering Waldorf education through the school’s web site and are recognizing that this is the education they want for their children.
Suncoast Waldorf School, like virtually all Waldorf schools, is self-administered. Teachers and staff meet weekly to make decisions concerning the social, administrative, and educational life of the school. A Board of Trustees assumes fiduciary, policy and legal responsibility for the school.